Monday, February 4, 2008

Memories

Why am I so fascinated with photography? Maybe this endless dream of capturing that perfect emotion, texture or composition? I don't know. I never seem to be satisfied with any of my pictures, but I guess that is what keeps me motivated. I remember being twelve years old with my mother's Nikon film SLR camera around my neck running through the woods and down to the beach to catch the best sunset. Or finding a deserted place or path where I could spend hours trying to shoot something that I would like. My heart pounding, my cheeks flushed and the SLR clicking away. Then a teacher at my school would let me stay in the darkroom and develop my pictures even after school was closed. I felt so at home in the red light and the dangerous fumes of Fix and other solutions (probably killed a few brain cells too).  Everywhere i go I see things that I want to take pictures of. The happiness, frustration and success this tiny black box has given me is beyond words. I never think of myself as a photographer because for me that is a profession and I never wanted this hobby to become work. It is a freedom where I am in control. My mother was busy taking care of all her kids and work, but she still had time to take great pictures. She has a good eye and I am thankful that she passed on her interest in photography to me. I am also thankful that I got to borrow her camera before I could afford my own. Mum, if you read this...I LOVE YOU! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sweet...you are a gem!