Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Homemade studio tutorial 1

I have this idea to build my own photo studio. I want to be able to take pictures of all my friend's kids indoors but I don't have the proper equipment. Since I am not rich nor famous I am trying to keep the costs at a minimum. I believe I have enough hope, imagination and craftiness to succeed. I went to Lowe's Hardware store tonight to scout out possible material to use. I figured I'd give the "project desk" a shot to see if they could help me out, but they didn't seem to understand what I was trying to do, so I asked them to guide me to their flood lights. I found some aluminum "lamp-shades" with clasps and cords that I can use for fill lights. I bought three of them for $11.94 ea. I also got a bright white 48" x 32" Wainscot Board for $8.13 that will be perfect as a reflector when I take portraits and don't want any sharp shadows. Ok, so that was the beginning and I had time to hit the nearby Target to check out some more stuff that I could use. I was lucky and ran into these super large white lampshades on sale for $5 a piece, which was a total steal. I really don't know if they will work, but if they do I'll be super excited. I also bought some white poster board that I can use to cover the front of the lampshades so that I get a soft glow. I have a good feeling this is going to work. I still have to gather some other things but this is a start. I'll make sure I'll take pictures of how I put it all together just in case some other lunatics want to set up their home photo studio as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go for it! sounds like you have a good start... you're so creative...