Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Beautiful Island




I got an email from a dear childhood friend of mine from the Island in Sweden where I grew up. We recently started keeping in touch again after many years thanks to facebook. She moved to South Africa years ago and has, like me, created her own little life with a new family and friends. I got the opportunity to see some of her paintings on facebook and they are amazing. She has an extraordinary talent. She recognizes my patriotism for Sweden and reminded me of how many wonderful artists come from our home country. Being born and raised on this Island made us who we are today. It made us want to see more of the world yet never forget where we come from. She asked me to go and check out this old video of one of Sweden's wonderful songwriters and singers. The video takes place on the Island where we grew up and when I watch it I feel a little closer to home. I know how it is to walk where she is walking, to smell the air, to watch the ocean, and to take in the open fields that fill your heart with hope and open your senses wide. Thanks Josie for reminding me how fortunate we are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's nice to see more of where you came from...thanks for sharing...